Visas For International Couples in California

California has one of the most diverse populations in the country, made up of families from across the world. Because of its various opportunities, many international couples want to move or even start their lives here. Thankfully, there’s plenty of options when it comes to getting visas. For more information on your options, contact Maison Law Immigration today to set up a consultation.

What Visas Are There For International Couples?

There’s three main visa options for international couples looking to move to California, but it depends on the circumstances. Namely, it matters whether you are:

  • Already married
  • Looking to get married

Basically, if you’re already married, you can apply for the following:

  • CR-1 visa – Also known as the Conditional Resident visa, this is an immigrant visa given to spouses of U.S. citizens that have been married for less than two years. It lets your spouse currently living abroad to enter the U.S. as a “conditional permanent resident”.
  • F-2A spousal visa – The F-2A visa category is a nonimmigrant visa issued by the United States for spouses and unmarried children (under 21 years old) of green card holders. It allows them to accompany or join you in the United States.

If you’re looking to get married, you and your fiancé can apply for a K-1 visa. This is a nonimmigrant visa option for your fiancé. It allows your foreign fiancé to enter the country for the purpose of marrying you within 90 days of arrival.

What’s the Visa Process For International Couples?

The actual process for getting these visas is going to depend on which one you need. That said, once you submit your application, the processes both dovetail quite a bit. Here’s a quick overview of the process:

  • Apply for the right visa – Depending on what type of visa you need, you and your spouse or fiancé will fill out specific forms, like Form I-129F or DS-160. If you’re already married and are the one with citizenship, you’ll fill out Form I-130.

  • Documentation – You’ll both need to collect and show documentation that supports your visa application. This usually includes things like financial documents, housing documents, medical records, or anything else that shows proof of your relationship.

  • Go to interviews (if needed) – Sometimes, you might have to be interviewed by someone at a US embassy or consulate. They’ll ask questions to make sure your relationship is real, like who proposed and how you and your fiancé met.

  • Wait for a decision – After sending your forms and potentially going through interviews, you’ll have to wait for the government to approve the application. It might take a while because of different reasons. If approved, you’ll get the visa stamped in your passports. Then you can plan to come to the US during the time the visa is valid.

Maison Immigration Can Help Your Family

Whether you’re already married or looking to get married, the actual visa process can be challenging. That’s why it’s important to be patient. But equally as important is having the right guidance. At Maison Immigration, our team understands how important the visa process is and wants to help you and your spouse or fiancé. We can explain the visa process and what you need to do to make it a success. Contact us today to set up your initial consultation.