Bakersfield California B-1 Temporary Business Visa Lawyer

The B-1 Visa is another kind of nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign nationals to enter the United States for up to six months for business travel. Current regulations allow for a B-1 Visa to be extended for an additional six months, but not longer that for one total year. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services allow holders of B-1 Visas to participate in the following activities upon entry into the United States:

  • Consultations with clients or business associates.
  • Attendance and participation in conferences, conventions or seminars.
  • Conducting research activities.
  • The purchase of business products or materials.
  • Participation in business negotiations or legal proceedings.

Documents in Support of Eligibility for a B-1 Visa

Visitors entering the United States don’t want to have their intentions for their trip misinterpreted. That’s why we recommend having easily accessed documentation supporting their intentions on hand upon their arrival. That documentation should consist of the following:

  • Written confirmation of any meetings to be attended during the visitor’s stay in the United States.
  • Any business invitations that might have been extended and accepted for seminars, conventions or trade shows.
  • Any evidence of the source of any compensation or pay that the visitor might receive while in the United States.
  • A written statement of the purpose of the visit, how long the visitor plans on staying in the United States along with planned activities.

The B-1 Visitor’s Intentions

A visitor’s intentions are of particular importance in a decision on whether a B-1 Visa will be issued. His or her purpose must be for a legitimate business trip for a specific limited period of time. A bona fide residence in the visitor’s home country that he or she has no intention of abandoning is also required. Evidence of other substantial ties with the foreign national’s home country like a job or family will likely be required. The visitor might also be required to show proof of sufficient funds to pay for their trip, including when he or she is in the United States. Proof of a return travel ticket will be required.

Dual Intent

Some classifications of nonimmigrant visas allow a holder to have dual intent and allow such holders to petition for lawful permanent residency. B Visas are not a dual intent visa. If dual intent is your intention, the Central Valley immigration lawyers at Maison Law Immigration Lawyers may be able to help you obtain a different type of visa. USCIS officials have broad discretion. A B-1 Vissa application can be denied if an official believes that a B-1 applicant has dual intent.

The B-1 Process

A DS-160 application form must be fully and accurately completed, signed and filed. You will receive a confirmation number that you must use to schedule an appointment at the U.S. Embassy or consulate near you for an interview. Be sure to bring copies of your payment receipt and confirmation page with you to your interview along with all of the documentation that you have gathered in support of your application. If you’re approved, you probably won’t be allowed to bring family members with you unless they have B-2 Visas for tourists.

Applying for any U.S. visa can be complicated and confusing. A simple innocent error or omission can cause a visa application to be delayed or denied. That’s why you’ll want your application to be prepared by the careful and experienced Central Valley immigration lawyers from Maison Law Immigration Lawyers. Contact our offices for a consultation and case review on your B-1 questions or issues. We want to see you have a successful and rewarding visit here and a safe trip home.