Parole in Place for Military Families

Military parole in place, also known as PIP is a one-year discretionary and temporary privilege that permits undocumented spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21 and the parents of United States citizens who are or have been in the armed forces to remain in the United States after their unlawful entry. Take notice that it’s only granted for increments of one year. Military parole in place considers the circumstances of individuals with a close family relationship to a U.S. citizen who are already eligible to apply for permanent U.S. residence. They’re not required to leave the United States to return to their home country for consular processing, and their unlawful entry and residence here is not an issue. In fact, a person might have a removal order already entered against them, but it’s still possible for him or her to be granted PIP.

Requirements for the U.S Citizen Family Member

Like many other areas of immigration law, the PIP process is both complicated and confusing. Representation by the Central Valley immigration lawyers at Maison Law Immigration Lawyers can be of incredible help. The United States citizen family member is required to be or have been one of the following:

  • On active duty with the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • A current member of the Reserves or National Guard.
  • Has previously served with the U.S. Armed Forces or reserves.

How Do I Start the PIP Process?

Assuming that the U.S. Citizen relative is 21 years old, he or she starts the PIP process with a Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative that must be completed by him or her and filed before applying for PIP. There’s a $535 fee for filing the Form I-130. The beauty of PIP is that after filing of the Form I-130, eligible family members can seek adjustment of status to become lawful permanent residents. As this might take more than a year, they must be sure to keep their PIP status intact.

Applying for Parole in Place

Parole in place is discretionary with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). At this point in time, there is no designated form for applying for PIP. After the Form I-130 is submitted, an eligible family member needs to forward a hardship letter to the USCIS along with a completed Form I-131, regardless of the fact that the relative is already in the U.S. and doesn’t need to travel. There is no designated box for PIP, so where the purpose of the visit is asked, the family member should handwrite in “Parole in Place.” All documents should be forwarded to the USCIS office that has jurisdiction over the military member’s residence. Make sure that the letter clearly advises in its opening that the family member is seeking parole in place.

  • Copies of the best possible evidence of a family relationship between the family member and the individual who is or was in the military.
  • Evidence of the military member’s current or former military status.
  • Two identical passport sized photos.
  • Any other relevant evidence that might prompt a favorable discretionary decision like birth or baptismal certificates, or any other documents that prove a family relationship.

Contact a California Immigration Lawyer Today.

USCIS has the right to require an interview for those who are seeking PIP status. The person who is seeking PIP status must obtain appropriate approval before he or she can seek adjustment by applying for permanent residency. Seeking PIP status must be done carefully, especially because approval is discretionary with USCIS. Don’t jeopardize your eligibility for this extraordinary opportunity. Contact the Central Valley immigration lawyers at Maison Law Immigration Lawyers to discuss your situation. Our objective is to help your family remain together permanently in the United States.