Bakersfield California M-1 Visa Lawyer

The M-1 Visa is another type of nonimmigrant student visa that is sought by foreign nationals for purposes of studying in the United States. What distinguishes it from the F Visa is that it is sought by students who wish to attend a vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution other than an English language training program. Such institutions might include technical, vocational or trade schools or community or junior colleges. Even if your nation of citizenship is a member of the Visa Waiver Program, and you wish to attend a vocational or other recognized nonacademic school, you must enter the United States on an M-1 Visa.

Before Applying for Your M-1 Visa

The school that you intend on attending must be approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. A certificate of eligibility I-20 form from the school should be sufficient for this purpose. M-1 Visa holders must pursue a full-time course of study. There are very few exceptions to this rule.

Procedure for Applying for Your M-1 Visa

Your certificate of eligibility issued from the SEVP approved school that you intend on attending must accompany your M-1 Visa application. Your application and supporting documents will be submitted to the U.S. Embassy or a consulate in your nation of citizenship. Required supporting documents follow:

  • A completed and signed visa application form.
  • A 5×5 cm color photo with white background with your head uncovered.
  • A passport from your nation of citizenship that’s valid for at least six months longer than your intended stay in the United States.
  • The letter of admission and I-20 form from the institution that you intend on attending.
  • The SEVIS fee receipt of payment.
  • Verification of sufficient funds for travel to and from the United States and the duration of your stay here.
  • Proof of proficiency in English or proof of your intention to receiving English training to become proficient in the language.
  • Results of any standardized tests required by the school you plan on attending.
  • Proof of ownership of substantial assets in your nation of origin that show an intention to return there upon completion of your schooling. Such assets might include a home, land, investments, bank accounts and close family ties.
  • Although not required, you might also with to have copies of transcripts, diplomas or certificates from schools that you intended on hand.

Your Interview

Be fully prepared to attend an interview at the U.S. Embassy or consular officer in your home country. Have all documentation prepared and with you. The M-1 is not a dual intent visa. Don’t even mention immigration to the United States. Doing so will likely be cause for denial of your application. Be clear in expressing your intent to return to your home country within 60 days of completion of your studies. Assuming that your visa application is approved, you may need to pay a visa issuance fee.

The California Central Valley immigration lawyers at Maison Law Immigration Lawyers can be of great help to you with the complicated M-1 Visa process. You don’t want the opportunity of a quality education delayed or denied through an error on your application or the omission of an important supporting document. Opportunity is knocking, so contact our Central Valley immigration lawyers at Maison Law Immigration Lawyers for a consultation. We can talk about your future education and goals. Not only can we help you meet them. We can help you surpass them too.