The Difference Between an EB-2 and EB-3 Green Card

Holding a green card operates to confirm that a person who is not a United States citizen has been granted lawful permanent residence in the country. He or she can live here and work here, so long as they follow some simple rules and renew their green card every 10 years. It also qualifies them for United States citizenship after three or five years. A United States green card is coveted by hundreds of millions of people from across the globe.

Employment-Based Green Cards

Aside from family-based immigration, employment-based immigration also provides different ways of getting a green card and becoming a lawful permanent resident or a U.S. citizen. The most common employment-based visas are EB-2 and EB-3 visas. EB-2 visas are typically for “aliens who are members of the professions holding advanced degrees or who have exceptional ability (including requests for national interests).” EB-3 visas are for otherwise skilled workers, professionals or other workers. The basic requirements for these two categories of visas are substantially similar. It’s the qualification requirements that candidates will find differences in.

Degreed Candidates vs. Candidates Without a Degree

An applicant for an EB-2 visa typically has an advanced university degree like a masters or doctoral degree. Those without an advanced degree aren’t precluded from applying if they have a bachelor’s degree and five years of progressive work experience in the field that they intend on working in. A person with exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business or sports might also qualify under EB-2.  Any EB-2 job is going to require certification from the U.S. Department of Labor except for a National Interests Waiver is going to require certification from the U.S. Department of Labor. A candidate seeking such a waiver need not have an employer file on his or her behalf either.

The EB-3 Visa

On that basis, the requirements for an EB-3 visa are more lenient, and its requirements are broken down into three different categories.  These consist of full-time workers whose jobs aren’t seasonal. A minimum of two years of experience or training for the job is required. Those who are pursuing professional positions are also eligible, but they must hold a U.S. bachelor’s degree or the foreign equivalent thereof. Other candidates may be considered if their job isn’t skilled or seasonal, and they have less than two years of experience or training.

Both the EB-2 and EB-3 visa process approvals end up with permanent U.S. residency. Eventually, they also qualify holders for U.S. Citizenship. If you have questions about your eligibility for an EB-2 or EB-3 visa, contact us here at Maison Law Immigration Lawyers in Bakersfield, CA and schedule a consultation. Our immigration lawyers are positioned to help you choose your best option for moving forward and guiding you through the EB-2 or EB-3 visa process. Our objective is to see you succeed here in the United States.

Contact a California Immigration Lawyer Today

If you or a family member need assistance in obtaining a permanent residency in the United States, speak with a Central Valley immigration attorney at Maison Law Immigration Lawyers. We know what needs to be done to effectively help you. We’re committed to helping every person who intends on becoming a permanent resident of the United States in obtaining the professional legal assistance that they deserve. It’s people like you who built this country, and your family members can continue build it even better.