Replacing and Renewing a Green Card

When a foreign national is in the United States and is in possession of a Green Card, that card identifies him or her as a lawful permanent resident who can live and work in the United States. After five years of continuously living in the United States and the fulfillment of other conditions, the holder of that card becomes eligible to apply for citizenship. It’s not required though. That holder can live to a ripe old age in America, die and even be buried with their family members who predeceased them here.

Obtaining a Green Card

A Green Card and permanent residency can be obtained by a foreign national through sponsorship by an immediate and family member or an employer. One might also be obtained through approved refugee, asylee or special immigrant status, as a human trafficking or crime victim or being a victim of abuse. Other categories of Green Cards exist under special circumstances. No matter what category of a visa that an immigrant is seeking, all applications are processed through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.

Do I Need an Attorney as a Green Card Sponsor?

U.S. immigration law can get incredibly complicated. It’s strongly recommended that an attorney be retained from the beginning in any petition for permanent residency. Applications and supporting documentation issues can quickly become confusing. Errors or omissions in the application and documentation process can cause long delays or even denial of a permanent residency petition. Retaining an attorney can save significant time, money and wear and tear on the nerves of both sponsors and beneficiaries. Maison Law Immigration Lawyers is available for that purpose for residents of the Central Valley and beyond.

Renewing or Replacing Your Green Card

Once you get your Green Card, circumstances might arise when you’ll be required to renew or replace it. Here are some of the most common situations:

  • You lost your Green Card, or it was stolen or misplaced.
  • Your Green Card either expired, or it will expire within the next six months.
  • You received your Green Card before you reached the age of 14, and now, you’re 14. Note that if your card expires before you turn 16 years of age, you can wait until it expires.
  • Your status has automatically been changed to that of a lawful permanent resident.
  • There is incorrect information on your card.
  • You changed your name or other biographical information on your card.
  • You had a previous version of a Green Card in the past that is no longer valid.
  • You never received the Green Card that USCIS sent to you.

Contact a California Immigration Lawyer.

It’s always good for you and your family to have a solid professional relationship with a qualified and knowledgeable Central Valley immigration lawyer. We can start building that relationship when you contact Maison Law Immigration Lawyers for a consultation on any questions that you have about obtaining, renewing or replacing a Green Card. The United States was built on immigration, and we want you and your family to help us build it even stronger than it is now. Contact us about your immigration issues at your earliest opportunity, and we’ll be happy to discuss them with you.