Visalia Immigration and Green Card Lawyer

If you live in or around Visalia, and you’re seeking permanent residency in the United States, you’re going to need a lawyer who has participated in every step of the process. Maison Law Immigration Lawyers can help you and keep you advised on the progress of your petition throughout the immigration journey.

What is a Green Card and How Can I Get One?

A green card is formally known as a permanent residence card. It allows a person to permanently live and work anywhere in the United States. When it’s issued, it’s good for 10 years. That doesn’t mean that your permanent residency status expires after 10 years. You need only obtain a new card for another 10 years.

Family-Based Immigration

There are many different ways that a foreign national might be eligible for a green card under family- based immigration: Some of the most common ways are if you’re one of the following:

  • An immediate relative of a U.S. citizen.
  • You’re another relative of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. Family-based preference categories apply here.
  • You’re engaged to be married to a U.S. citizen or the child of that foreign national.
  • Widows or widowers of U.S. citizens are eligible to apply.
  • VAWA victims of battery or extreme cruelty are eligible. Men can apply under VAWA too.
  • A broad range of other individuals are eligible for a green card based on other immigration categories that aren’t family related like employment, refugee status or asylum. There’s even a green card diversity lottery.

Permanent Residence Can be Revoked

You should note that permanent residency can be lost upon conviction of a crime anywhere in the United States. It can also be lost for a single trip outside of the United States for more than one year or repeated travel outside of the United States for lengthy periods of time. Then, permanent residency can be revoked, and a request for permanent deportation can be filed. You’ll want to notify us right away after you receive any notice of intent to deport you.

Who is Given Priority For Lawful Permanent Residence?

Other than VAWA, only a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident can bring a petition for a relative under family-based immigration. Priority is given to spouses, dependent children and parents. Other more distant relatives, though eligible for a green card, might be required to wait for several years.

The process of bringing a family member into the United States isn’t automatic. It’s complicated and confusing. The knowledge and experience of Maison Law Immigration Lawyers will enable you to bring a husband, wife, child, parent or other relative into the United States as soon as it’s legally possible without unnecessary delays. Maybe your relative is already in the United States. We can still help in getting him or her lawful permanent residency. You can contact us here in Bakersfield by calling 661-322-6776, or feel free to use our online contact form for your questions. We can help, no matter where you might be in the United States. Remember that immigrants are the people who built this country. Your family members can help build it even better.