How Can My Spouse Apply for Citizenship Under “Parole in Place” in California?

Maison Immigration’s team of immigration lawyers helps anyone in California that’s trying to gain citizenship. Whether it’s through a visa or the upcoming “Parole in Place” program, it helps to be prepared and to know what to expect. If you or your spouse are thinking about applying for this new program, contact us today to set up a one-on-one consultation.

Do You Need a Lawyer?

When you or your spouse are trying to obtain citizenship, it’s a harrowing process. You never want to face a situation where your family is broken up, especially if your spouse is already a U.S. citizen.

Our team at Maison Immigration understands how important your family unit is, and we’ll make sure you have all the information and resources you need for the new “Parole in Place” program. We’ll explain your options, how the application process will work, and what the path toward full citizenship is going to look like.

How Can Your Spouse Apply For the “Parole in Place” Program?

Even though the application process for the new “Parole in Place” program has yet to be officially opened, there’s plenty of information available that will tell you if you or your spouse are eligible to apply.

According to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), eligibility for the program is going to be based on two main factors:

  • Whether you’re legally married to a U.S. citizen
  • Whether you currently live in the U.S. and have lived here continuously for at least 10 years

With these requirements met, your spouse can apply for the program (as long as they aren’t a national security threat or have a criminal conviction.) Even though the USCIS and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) have yet to officially implement the actual procedure for applying, they have announced that they will review eventual applications on a “case-by-case” basis.

This means that the general outline for applying will likely include the following steps:

  • Filling out the application form and paying the fee
  • Providing documentation and submitting to biometrics and an interview
  • USCIS and DHS will review the application
  • On a case-by-case basis, they’ll look at your spouse’s individual application and determine if the application is approved.

Upon approval, your spouse has up to three years to apply for a green card. Obviously, the program is a great way for your noncitizen spouse to obtain full citizenship. But there are a number of other reasons you or your spouse should look into the program.

Why Should Your Spouse Apply For the “Parole in Place” Program?

Not surprisingly, any opportunity your noncitizen spouse has to obtain full citizenship and stay in the United States has numerous benefits. Most importantly, it keeps your family together, which is vital for stability, especially if you have children. But there are a number of other reasons your spouse should apply:

  • Protection – Provides your spouse with temporary legal status, protecting them from deportation.
  • Work authorization – Allows your spouse to apply for work authorization, allowing them to legally work in the U.S. for their employer.
  • Potential for a green card – Probably the most beneficial thing the “Parole in Place” program will provide is a stepping stone towards applying for permanent residency (a green card) for your spouse.
  • Relief for families – It’s worth repeating that the program is designed to keep families together, which is particularly important for immigrant families trying to improve and maintain their lifestyle in California.

These benefits can provide significant relief and stability for families with one spouse that’s a noncitizen. Better yet, it also applies to step-children of U.S. citizens. But remember, any successful application needs the right guidance, and our team at Maison Immigration can provide this to you and your family.

Contact Maison Immigration to Discuss Your Options

If you or your spouse are thinking about applying for the new “Parole in Place” program, Maison Immigration can support you. Our experienced lawyers understand how important it is to have your family with you as you live your life in California or anywhere else in the United States. Don’t wait–if you want to talk about your citizenship options, contact us today for a one-on-one consultation.