Who Is Eligible for Help Under the “Parole In Place” Immigration Program?

Maison Immigration helps families in California with the immigration process. Of all the options you have for citizenship in the United States, the newest is the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) “Parole in Place” program. If you or your spouse would like to learn more about the program and what benefits it can give you, contact us today to set up a one-on-one consultation.

Why Should You Hire a Lawyer?

As an immigrant, keeping your family together is probably your biggest priority for your day-to-day life, whether you live in California or anywhere else in the country. That alone is enough reason to work with our immigration lawyers, but remember, it’s not a legal requirement.

That said, our team has the experience and resources to make sure you and your family can put together a successful application for the “Parole in Place” program. We can also give you support and help you with any gathering of documentation and other evidence. Most of all, we want to simplify things for you, so you can focus on your family and life. It’s also important to act quickly, as the changing political climate can bring changes to the program. Moreover, the program is going to be competitive. According to the American Immigration Council, the White House estimates that nearly 500,000 spouses and stepchildren will be eligible to apply to the program.

Who’s Eligible for the “Parole in Place” Program?

There’s two main classifications for the “Parole in Place” program:

  • Noncitizen spouses
  • Noncitizen stepchildren

Obviously, many of these will be related or at least closely associated. And because the main goal of the new program is stability and giving families a path toward full citizenship. That said, given the changes in the political climate that can come from elections, it’s important to act quickly.

In terms of eligibility, noncitizen spouses and stepchildren have to meet the following requirements:

  • Currently living in the U.S. without parole
  • Have lived in the U.S. continuously for at least 10 years
  • Are legally married
  • Have a qualifying “stepchild” relationship

There’s also some disqualifying things you may need to worry about. You aren’t eligible for the program if:

  • You have a criminal record
  • You’re a national security threat

Although the details are not yet finalized, applications for the “Parole in Place” program will be decided on a “case-by-case” basis. United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) also says that any applications submitted before the details are finalized won’t be considered. The question, then, is what do you need to do for a successful application?

What Evidence Do You Need for a Successful “Parole in Place” Application?

Facing the immigration process can sometimes be confusing, particularly if you’re a noncitizen. Then, you have to add the fact that the details of the application process aren’t formally in place just yet. Even still, given the requirements, it’s fairly clear what you need for a successful application:

  • Proof of marriage – Documentation proving your relationship to your citizen spouse, such as marriage certificates and other relevant documents.

  • Residency evidence – Documents showing your current address and how long you have been living in the United States, like utility bills, lease agreements, or bank statements.

  • Personal statement – A detailed personal statement explaining your circumstances, reasons for requesting parole, and any relevant background information.

  • Supporting evidence – Any additional documents that support your request, such as letters of support from community members, employers, or other significant individuals.

  • Proof of your identity – Valid identification documents, such as a passport or national ID card.

  • Fee payment – Payment of any required fees unless a fee waiver is granted.

It’s also important to use any other documents that may support your case, such as evidence of good moral character, lack of a criminal record, or proof of hardships faced without parole. The end goal is a path to full citizenship. If your application is approved, you have three years to apply for a green card and can get a work authorization. Better yet, you can’t get deported with a successful parole application.

Contact Maison Immigration For a Consultation

When you or someone else in your family is exploring your immigration and citizenship options, it helps to have experienced guidance and support. At Maison Immigration, our team of California immigration lawyers understands how the process works and can answer any question you might have. Don’t wait–contact us today to set up a one-on-one consultation to talk about your options with the “Parole in Place” program.